Saturday, January 16, 2010

Congratulations Zach!


It is definitely a "boy's day" as far as cards are concerned!  My son-in-law Zach has wanted to be a fireman since he was a little boy and his dream is finally coming true.  He was just voted on for the Reedsburg Fire Department.  One of the first things he told me when they bought their home in Reedsburg is that he wanted to get on the fire department.  That was a year ago.  It is not like here in Friendship, where they will take just about everyone as they are so desperate to get volunteer's.  In Reedsburg, you have to wait till a position open's and are put on a waiting list.  I am so happy for him as he is so excited.  We are having a family get together tomorrow and Sarah asked me to make Zach a Fire Truck cake with my fire truck pan.  So I got that baked last night, and put in the freezer.  I just whipped up the frosting and will start decorating it after I am done with this blog post.  This card is a easel card and I took a picture from the side so you can see how it looks.  I also made a pocket in the back and a tab so that the message I wrote to Zach is hidden, he will have to pull out the tab to see it.  I took a picture of it so that you could see it.  One piece of advice I can give about making guy cards is that if you really want to WOW them, add some hardware of some sort on it.  They like brads, eyelets, etc.   I added twill tape as the "ribbon" on it as I think it look's more masculine and reminds me of the hoses that they use to fight fire's with.  If they are still the same as when I was Friendship Fire Department's treasurer, they were a canvas type material.  Zach really appreciates the cards I make him so it will be interesting to see what he has to say about this one!  Sometimes I think men appreciate handmade things more than women.  When I had my store, men loved to watch me stitch.  It would remind them of their Grandma, or someone in their family that they loved.  Not many people embroider any more.  I plan on teaching Brooke some hand sewing tomorrow.  I will give you a report on how that goes!  Well, time to go decorate the cake!  Me

No comments:

Post a Comment