Friday, September 30, 2011

Another episode of.....What will $10.00 buy in the thrift store today!


 I just arrived back home from being gone for the day.  I went to the Dells this morning and packed up my craft stuff to bring back home with me.  I had a gift card for Kohl's from my birthday, so decided to head over there, and I found some nice sweaters and a vest.  The leaves are very pretty in the Dells/Lyndon Station area.  I think we are going to have a beautiful fall this year.  As I am arriving back to town, I see that Practical Cents has the entire store for half price, so I decided to check it out.  It is always a good time to pick up things that they have over priced on a half price day.  Hee Hee.  So let's take a look at my treasures!  All this for ten bucks!  In the top picture, are two bags of glue sticks for my hot glue gun, and a mini magazine rack



 Picture number two has a brand new pair of jeans on the bottom of the pile, 3 skeins of yarn, and a HUGE container of stick pins.  Pins have become very expensive and I was just talking to my mom about that a few weeks ago as I bought a small pack in the fabric store.  My fingers don't always work the best so I now have to have pins with heads on them to grab.  When I am working on stacks of things, it is more productive to pin everything and sew away, and I haven't had enough pins to do that.  This will help!
In the third picture you will see a little crate which I plan on putting pattern paper on the slats, and using it for displaying.  It is shallow and will be great for that.  In the crate is a package of paper doilies, a new hot air brush (I always like to have a spare around so I don't have to drop $25.00 for one when mine goes out as they don't last long, in our now disposable product society).  Another thing in the crate which is hard to see in this picture, is a huge roll of blue seam binding which I was tickled to find.  I almost missed it as I couldn't figure out what it was in the bag.  So I did something I never do, I poked a little hole in the bag so I could get my fingers inside to feel the end of it. Low and behold...it was seam binding.  It was marked fifty cents, so I got it for a quarter.  But seriously, they wouldn't have been able to get anyone to buy it as it is very dirty.  But I am not concerned about that.  I will unroll it, fill up the sink with soapy water and let it soak, rinse it, and then scrunch it up in bunches and let it dry on the counter.  That is what people are doing with seam binding to get a shabbier look to it.  It crinkles after it has been wet and scrunched.  Last, but not least, I got a whole stack of berry baskets that I have a craft project in mind for, and a bag of buttons.  Definitely a good haul!

No comments:

Post a Comment